Did you know that the trademark is a territorial right, given by the applicable Intellectual Property Office? And that there are many types of trademarks such as word, figurative, three-dimensional, etc?
Registered trademark gives its owner an exclusive right to use, reproduce and license out its mark to anyone. It also entitles him/her to prevent others from using the registered trademark without prior consent or to use:
- any kind of mark that is similar to the registered trademark within the same product or service categories;
- any kind of mark that would cause a confusion with normal customer (because of its similarities);
- any kind of mark that is considered to be well known mark (for example: Coca-Cola, Microsoft etc.)
Registered trademark carries a number of benefits for its owner:
- guarantees legal protection;
- attracts faithful group of consumers;
- helps with market segmentation and positioning of the products within the market;
- helps with building a positive brand image of the company;
There are number of ways to register a trademark:
- Through local Intellectual Property Offices - Trademark registration in Slovenia with IPRC d.o.o..
- International application - Using just one application to cover all desired countries (prior existence of national application/registration needed) - Trademark registration in Slovenia with IPRC
- Regional application (for instance in entire EU) - Trademark registration in EU with IPRC.
IPRC is a professional representative for trademarks and designs in OHIM (Office for Harmonization in Internal Market) and SIPO (Slovenian Intellectual Property Office) registration procedures.